compiling a 2.6.x kernel

Kurt Wall kwall
Mon Aug 16 22:01:54 PDT 2004

In a 0.6K blaze of typing glory, M.W. Chang wrote:
> > # make by itself or make all compiles everything, modules included
> > if make -j3 all modules_install
>
> thanks.
>
> I noticed that under Novell SuSe 9.1, I must run mkinitrd after building
> the kernel or the system would have a kernel panic during boot-up. Is it
> reallky mandatory for 2.6 kernel?

Yes, if you have modules on the file system that the kernel needs to
boot, like file system or SCSI support. It's rather difficult to boot
from, say, an XFS file system if your kernel does not have XFS file
system support built-in *and* the initrd does not have an XFS module. ;-)

Kurt
--
Quality Control, n.:
	The process of testing one out of every 1,000 units coming off