compiling a 2.6.x kernel

Bruce Marshall bmarsh
Mon Aug 16 20:26:31 PDT 2004

On Monday 16 August 2004 08:27 pm, M.W. Chang wrote:
> > # make by itself or make all compiles everything, modules included
> > if make -j3 all modules_install
>
> thanks.
>
> I noticed that under Novell SuSe 9.1, I must run mkinitrd after building
> the kernel or the system would have a kernel panic during boot-up. Is it
> reallky mandatory for 2.6 kernel?

It's mandatory if you don't compile into the kernel everything needed at boot
time.   For example, if you are running reiserfs as modules, you will need to
mkinitrd to make the modules available at boot time.

I always compile into the kernel those things I know I am going to need.  (FS,
nic code, etc.)