Photo Scanners ...

Bill Campbell linux-sxs at celestial.com
Thu Jun 3 13:05:46 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010, Ben Duncan wrote:
> need suggestions for Photo type scanners that I can script using sane.
>
> Want something that is Linux compatible and a higher end than those
> $80 type at Best Buy. Any Suggestions ?

I have used Nikon film and slide scanners with excellent results
although they're a *LOT* more expensive than $80.00.

I have an Olympus ES-10S SCSI slide and film scanner that did a
passable job, unfortunately the only drivers I've found for it
are Windows, and ancient Windows at that.  Anybody willing to pay
shipping is welcome to it.

My main scanner is an HP ScanJet 5590 which I use with the
commercial VueScan program.  It has attachments for slides and
film, but I have never tried them.  VueScan is a great program,
and works on a variety of platforms including Mac OS X, Linux,
and, of course, Windows.  It's reasonably priced, and every time
I've had a question, the response was very quick an on point.

Bill
--
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who
are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ... Such
laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the
assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent
homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater
confidence than an armed man. -- Thomas Jefferson