global vs local internet

James McDonald james
Sun Aug 29 17:12:07 PDT 2004

R. Myles Green wrote:

>On Sunday 29 August 2004 05:49, M.W. Chang wrote:
>

>>>IANAE but I suppose not... unless you happened to want to belong to
>>>an international mailing list. Like this one, maybe? OTOH, perhaps
>>>it wouldn't be as difficult as I imagine it to be? Maybe IPv6 would
>>>make this possible in some way? Interesting question.
>>>

>>YOU DID NOT answer my question.
>>why can't each nation build their own internet with IPV4?
>>Why must there be a unified internet?

Because to have a truly global internetwork you need to have each node
uniquely identified globally. For instance if you seperated each country
into their own internetworks and used IPv4 with no consideration to
making sure that the IP address spaces were uniquely assigned you would
have the possibility of duplicate addresses and then you would need to
put another layer of addressing ontop of each national 'internet' in
order to route traffic globally.