OT: Windows partition copy

Michael Hipp Michael
Fri Aug 27 13:09:52 PDT 2004

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> I had no choice. I had to keep a Windows 98 partition. But I moved it
> elsewhere on the disk. Now, GRUB will not boot into that partition.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're out of luck. The
DOS-kernel Windows (9x/ME) won't boot from anywhere but a primary
partition and I'm not sure they will actually boot from any but the
first partition. Make sure the partition is 'active' and not 'hidden' by
using a partitioning tool.

The NT-Kernel Windows (NT/2k/XP) are more forgiving about where you
locate them.

Why did you move it? It would never occur to me to attempt to move a
DOS/Win9x partion. The only safe place for such a thing is hda1 (C:).
Probably you're looking at a wipe clean and reload of that partition.
Make sure your Linux boot disk is up to date.

Michael