Moving to an Open source environment

Chong Yu Meng chongym
Mon Aug 23 09:57:08 PDT 2004

Hi James,

James McDonald wrote:

> I am starting to get tired of spending 11000 (Exchange EE) + HARDWARE
> + OS + AV to give people email, when I can do it with a
> linux/qmail/imap install for about a days wages. However some small
> points seem to stop me from recommending an open source only solution.
>
>    To completely replace M$ I would need non-buggy group calendaring
> and scheduling apps that runs on Linux and is rock solid. Any
> Suggestions?

Been there ! If what you're looking for is something conforming to the
iCalendar protocol, I don't think anything has been created for that
yet. For simple web-based calendaring, there are plenty of Open Source
solutions available. You may want to look at Suse Open Exchange for an
approximation of MS Exchange.

>    There are a lot of helpdesk applications on sf.net but a lot of
> them are on the immature side. What are list members using to track
> support calls and resolution / kb sort of stuff?

I would have thought Bugzilla would be sufficient, but it really depends
on your needs, I guess.

>    Another area that seems to be lacking on the linux front is Safety
> Management Software anyone got any experience with this from the
> OpenSource world?

No idea here.

--

Pascal Chong