NFS Will Not Start

Kurt Wall kwall
Tue Aug 17 12:34:34 PDT 2004

In a 2.3K blaze of typing glory, Condon Thomas A KPWA wrote:

> > > carving.condonia:/public: Function not implemented
> > >
> >     failed
> >
> > Does "carving.condonia" resolve to an IP address?
>
> Yes.  192.168.xx.6 on my local net.  I can ping back and forth by name or
> number.

Just a thought, but I supposed it did.

> Yes.  A separate partition of a 1GB SCSI disk.
>
> > First, try exporting it manually:
> >
> > # exportfs -i -o rw carving:/public
> >
> > You need NFS support in the kernel (the module is nfsd, I believe),
> > the portmapper needs to be running, mountd (rpc.mountd here)
> > needs to be
> > running, lockd (again, rpc.lockd here) *ought* to be running, and,
> > naturally, the NFS server, nfsd (rpc.nfsd) must be running.
>
> Something in this list was probably the trouble, hence the "Your changes
> will be active after reboot." in the original message.  I was hoping for a
> way around the M$ solution, and to make it over 100 days of uptime.  Sigh.
> Rebooting did solve the problem, though.

You could have prowled through the process table. Alternatively, rpcinfo
would have told you what you needed:

$ rpcinfo -p
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100021    1   udp  32768  nlockmgr
    100021    3   udp  32768  nlockmgr
    100021    4   udp  32768  nlockmgr
    100021    1   tcp  32768  nlockmgr
    100021    3   tcp  32768  nlockmgr
    100021    4   tcp  32768  nlockmgr
    100011    1   udp  32824  rquotad
    100011    2   udp  32824  rquotad
    100011    1   tcp  34512  rquotad
    100011    2   tcp  34512  rquotad
    100005    1   udp  32825  mountd
    100005    1   tcp  34513  mountd
    100005    2   udp  32825  mountd
    100005    2   tcp  34513  mountd
    100005    3   udp  32825  mountd
    100005    3   tcp  34513  mountd

Here, you see that the portmapper, the lock manager, the remote quota
manager, and the mount daemon are running. This is what you would expect
to see on a system properly configured to provide NFS services.

> I didn't see anything appropriate, but I was probably looking in the wrong
> place.  Which logs would be most likely to contain info related to this
> problem?

The system log (/var/log/messages, or whatever is configured in
/etc/syslog.conf).

Kurt
--
... the MYSTERIANS are in here with my CORDUROY SOAP DISH!!