NFS Will Not Start

Condon Thomas A KPWA tcondon
Tue Aug 17 11:00:37 PDT 2004

> In a 1.5K blaze of typing glory, Tom Condon wrote:
> >
> > gungadin:/etc/init.d # ./nfsserver restart
> > Shutting down kernel based NFS server                           done
> > Starting kernel based NFS serverexportfs: /etc/exports [1]:
> No 'sync'
> > or 'async' option specified for export "carving:/public".
> >   Assuming default behaviour ('sync').
> >   NOTE: this default has changed from previous versions
> > carving.condonia:/public: Function not implemented
> >
>     failed
>
> Does "carving.condonia" resolve to an IP address?

Yes.  192.168.xx.6 on my local net.  I can ping back and forth by name or
number.

> > The fstab entry for the file system in question is:
> > /dev/sda1   /public   ext3    defaults 1 2
>
> This is on your (erstwhile) NFS server, right?

Yes.  A separate partition of a 1GB SCSI disk.

> First, try exporting it manually:
>
> # exportfs -i -o rw carving:/public
>
> You need NFS support in the kernel (the module is nfsd, I believe),
> the portmapper needs to be running, mountd (rpc.mountd here)
> needs to be
> running, lockd (again, rpc.lockd here) *ought* to be running, and,
> naturally, the NFS server, nfsd (rpc.nfsd) must be running.

Something in this list was probably the trouble, hence the "Your changes
will be active after reboot." in the original message.  I was hoping for a
way around the M$ solution, and to make it over 100 days of uptime.  Sigh.
Rebooting did solve the problem, though.

> > Contents of the exports file are:
> > /public carving(rw)
>
> Suggest adding "sync" to the options:
>
> /public carving(rw,sync)

Agreed.

> > I'm clueless (more so than usual).  I find no indication of which
> > function is not implemented.
>
> Nothing in the logs?

I didn't see anything appropriate, but I was probably looking in the wrong
place.  Which logs would be most likely to contain info related to this
problem?

Thanks for the suggestions.

In Harmony's Way and In A Chord,

Tom  ;-})

Thomas A. Condon
Proud Member of the Kitsap Chordsmen
Registered Linux User # 154358
You Can't Catch A Virus From Plain Text Email!