NFS Will Not Start

Tom Condon tomc
Mon Aug 16 12:15:58 PDT 2004

Folks,

I'm trying to get NFS working on my local network.  The server
is running SuSE 9.0.  I tried turning NFS on with Yast2 but I get
-------------------------------
Error
Unable to restart NFS server.
Your changes will be active after reboot.
-------------------------------

So, I thought I'd get back to basics.  I cd'd to /etc/init.d and tried
to restart the nfs server:

gungadin:/etc/init.d # ./nfsserver restart
Shutting down kernel based NFS server                           done
Starting kernel based NFS serverexportfs: /etc/exports [1]: No 'sync'
or 'async' option specified for export "carving:/public".
  Assuming default behaviour ('sync').
  NOTE: this default has changed from previous versions
carving.condonia:/public: Function not implemented
                                                                failed

The fstab entry for the file system in question is:
/dev/sda1   /public   ext3    defaults 1 2

Contents of the exports file are:
/public carving(rw)

I'm clueless (more so than usual).  I find no indication of which
function is not implemented.

Any help on where to look next would be appreciated.

In Harmony's Way and In A Chord,

Tom  ;-})

Tom Condon
Proud Member of the Kitsap Chordsmen
Registered Linux User #154358
You Can't Catch A Virus From Plain Text Email