xfsprogs

Collins Richey erichey2
Thu Aug 12 15:37:12 PDT 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:19:04 -0500 (EST) Net Llama! <netllama at linux-sxs.org>
wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, M.W. Chang wrote:
> > > What are you trying to fix?  I don't think journaling file systems need
> > > fsck.
> >
> > I have once had ext3 corruption problem with my harddisk,
> > demanding manual intervention.
> >

> fsck.xfs is a noop.  As others have noted, use xfs_repair instead, and
> you'll be golden.  BTW, if xfs_repair runs and has to fix stuff it will
> create a lost+found dir with the bits that had to fix.  You must delete
> the contents of the lost+found dir before trying to run xfs_repair again,
> or it will keep fixing the same thing over and over again.  This is by
> design.

Thanks for that info.

I echo the earlier comments: there is no such thing as a perfect fs, but some
are less perfect than others.

I recently converted to xfs a few weeks ago after 3+ years on ext3 (no problems
ever including after power failures). . Based on what I know about journaled fs,
I would expect from time to time to have the occasional corrupted file after a
less-than-orderly shutdown, but never the total fs losses (2x) I incurred with
reiserfs. On the second occurrence, reiserfs managed to lose track of the
primary copy of the  superblock and was unable to put the pieces back together
from one of the copies! Never again in this lifetime.

--
 /\/\
( CR ) Collins Richey