Update to Xorg and font spacing is weirdly double spaced

Collins Richey crichey
Mon Aug 30 18:19:02 PDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:00:08 +1000, James McDonald
<james at jamesmcdonald.id.au> wrote:
> I just downloaded all 6 x.org tar balls and untarred them and without
> changing the default config files on FC1 I have run make World.
>
> The compile was successful and I installed them by the following
> roughish method
>
> mv /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11R6.old
> mv /etc/X11 /etc/X11.old
>
> make install
> make install.man
>
> vi /etc/inittab
> # changed from pref dm to xdm by james 20040830
> # x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm
> x:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm
>
> touch ~/.xsession
> vi ~/.xsession
> #!/bin/sh
> xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources
> exec /usr/bin/startxfce4
>
> However I now have the behaviour as evidenced by this screen shot (

I haven't done this manually, but xorg.conf (maybe you're still using
XFree86Config) needs to have the font files changed, sample

  FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled" (this is not the old location)

/usr/share/fonts is the new home for fonts.

HTH,

--
 /\/\
(CR) Collins Richey