OT: gateways vs routers

James McDonald james
Sun Aug 29 22:57:30 PDT 2004

> >router:  device that passes packets of the same protocol from one
> >(sub)network to another
> >
> >gateway:  device that passes packets of the same or different protocols
> >(doing protocol translation in the process) from one (sub)network to
> >another.  A gateway is a router, but the term gateway infers it could
> >also do protocol translation, which most so-called "gateways" cannot do.
>
> Okay, I understand the gateway/router difference.  And, yes, I was
thinking
> router vs/ switch or router vs/ bridge.
>
> But, does anyone understand the Linksys "mode" setting where one can
select
> either gateway mode or router mode?  The setting can be found under the
> "setup" tab, "Advanced Routing" section.

going from the above I would say the difference is that in gateway mode you
would be doing NAT/Routing for example

Gateway Mode
--<ISP>---<PublicIP>--<LinkSys>---<192.168.x0.0/24>---<LAN>

with router mode you would simply be routing public / private IP's with no
NAT i.e. the IP addresses on both sides of the device are routeable with no
translation required

Router Mode
<ISP>--<PublicIPSubnetX>--<LinkSys>--<PublicIPSubnetY>---<LAN>