OT: Abbyy Fine Reader OCR; was Re: My List of commonly used apps - What's everyone else using?

Klaus-Peter Schrage kpschrage
Fri Aug 27 09:25:27 PDT 2004

Leon Goldstein wrote:
> Klaus-Peter Schrage schrieb:
>
>> Windows Apps: Abbyy FineReader (OCR)
>>
> How are you running Abbyy - natively in windows or under emulation?
> My attempt at running Abbyy under WINE was only partially successful.
> The app would start, but would lock up while performing OCR.

I'm running the most recent version (7.0) natively in WinXP - it won't
install under WINE, whereas an old version (4.0b1) does. I can't scan
from inside the application (no luck with twain in WINE), but when
reading a text that I have scanned and saved with xsane before, I get
quite satisfactory OCR results.

> Abbyy is an inexpensive OCR that performs surprisingly well.  It can
> output a WordPerfect file, which of course endears it to me.

Yes, I love it. My wife is a language teacher and she has been
transforming heaps of printed texts to docs with rarely any corrections
of misspelled words necessary.
This application is one of the main reasons for running windows at all.
Klaus