My List of commonly used apps - What's everyone else using?

Aaron Grewell agrewell
Wed Aug 25 11:43:32 PDT 2004

> > Just an observation; there seem to be a lot of KDE users in spite of
> > complaints of it being a resource hog.

Funny thing, KDE 3.2 and 3.3 have actually been better for me than Gnome 2.6.0
in that regard.  Maybe it's Fedora's packaging, but I think not.  While KDE
itself may be heavier, its apps use so much of the DE's stuff that they don't
seem to pose as much of an additional load as the more loosely coupled Gnome
apps.  So by using KDE, Kontact, and Konqueror I actually come out ahead
(especially memory-wise) of where I was using Gnome, Evolution, and Firefox.
I realize Firefox isn't actually a Gnome app, but that was my usage pattern.
Also I have a sneaking suspicion there's a memory leak in Gnome-Pilot
somewhere, since before I started syncing I had less issues with Evolution's
memory use.  KPilot doesn't seem to have that problem, but sadly Kontact
grinds to a halt whenever I sync and makes me wait for it to finish before I
can get back to work.  So something there still needs work.  Still, 3 days
and 3 machines later I give KDE3.3 two thumbs up.