Moving to an Open source environment

Alma J Wetzker almaw
Mon Aug 23 23:49:02 PDT 2004

M.W. Chang wrote:
>>Easy any developer that spent their time, wizardizing everything,
>>removing useful features and breaking packages into an array of
>>chargeable 'added extras' would almost have to be M$ backed.
>

> that looks like the marketing guy, not the technical guy. How could you
> prevent "enemy" engineers from infiltrating the linux camps, disrupting
> software development by modifying the data, ie, codes?

On a more serious note, [assuming there is not a <grin> somewhere...] there
are package maintainers that must approve any changes that are put into the
development tree.  Package maintainers kind of percolate up from the active
developers on the project.  It would take a concerted effort to screw up a
single package, basically taking over all development for a period of at least
a year and driving all other developers out.  Even then, if the package gets
borked, we go back to a working version and fork the development tree.  A case
in point is the xfree change to licensing, same net effect as turning your
product into something bad.

    -- Alma