music composition?

Alma J Wetzker almaw
Sun Aug 22 22:21:39 PDT 2004

Tony Alfrey wrote:
> On Sunday 22 August 2004 08:23 am, Kenyon Cox wrote:
>
>>>Hi.
>>>
>>>I know, I know, google.
>>>But maybe someone knows.  I'd like some sort of X-based GUI that
>>>allows me to write music, i.e, that will allow me to place notes on
>>>a music staff and print out the resulting score.  Any
>>>recommendataions? Thanks!
>>
>>Lilypond
>>
>><http://lilypond.org/web/>
>>
>><www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7657&
>>mode=thread&order=0&thold=0>
>

> I saw that; they suggest using the rpms 'cause a lot of stuff is needed
> to compile.  Did you use an rpm or compile?

At the lilypond.org site they have several installers.  I installed it on
Gentoo, so I did the compile thing.

Lilypond is serious music publishing software and not for the faint of heart.
  You need to put together a description file of what you want printed and it
gives you some absolutely beautiful output.  The file does not look much like
music.

I liked the old Amiga Bars & Pipes.  That was a fun program.  It used
non-standard notation but it could print regular stuff and it was fun to use.

     -- Alma