xfree86 + freetype2

James McDonald james
Tue Aug 17 16:39:59 PDT 2004

M.W. Chang wrote:

> Venturing into the realm of using Linux as a desktop...
>
> How could I make xfree86+freetype2 to use truetype fonts I copied from
> Win2k? I cannot find a how-to in linux-sxs.
>
> is Xft the same as freetype2?

from the Xft man page: *Xft* is a simple library designed to interface
the FreeType rasterizer with the X Rendering Extension

You need to install your fonts on your system somewhere.

Then in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf or more preferably in
/etc/fonts/local.conf (to allow for easier upgrades)

add the path of your new windows fonts i.e.
    <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/windows-fon</dir>
alternatively add the path to the system fontpath which will be picked
up also without the <dir> directive (correct me if Im' wrong)
    FontPath /usr/share/fonts/myfonts
    xset fp rehash or restart X

Then run fc-cache -f which will create your fonts.cache etc.
    fc-cache -fv
    fc-cache: "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1": caching, 29 fonts, 0 dirs
    fc-cache: "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/windows-ttf/": caching, 85
fonts, 0 dirs etc etc.