compiling a 2.6.x kernel

Alma J Wetzker almaw
Tue Aug 17 11:39:56 PDT 2004

Net Llama! wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Kurt Wall wrote:

>>>That's not true.  I never use an initrd, and boot XFS filesystems all
>>>the time.
>>
>>That's a heckuva trick, booting from a file system your kernel doesn't
>>support. How does the kernel know how to read the file system to mount
>>root, then? Sure, you can boot the kernel, but it will panic because
>>it can't mount the RFS. So, you either have to have XFS support compiled
>>into the kernel (what I do here) or it has to live in an initrd.
>
> Re-read what you wrote originally.  You claimed that the kernel needed to
> have XFS support compiled in  *AND* the initrd had to have an xfs module.
> I stated that both are not required, only one.

I read Kurt's statement as:

if (!(kernel_xfs) && !(module_xfs))
     kernel panic on boot;

That is not the same as:

if ((kernel_xfs) && (module_xfs))
     kernel boots ok;

What we need it the complement of the total condition to negate the entire
logical sequence, or:

if ((kernel_xfs) || (module_xfs))
     kernel boots ok;

If that is not the way you read it, let me know.  Your conclusions are
identical so there shouldn't be any quibbling anyway.  (There needs to be
support for XFS in the kernel OR in the initrd modules in order to boot from
an xfs partition.  If there is no support in EITHER place, the kernel will not
boot.)

     -- Alma