xfsprogs

Bruce Marshall bmarsh
Thu Aug 12 10:40:34 PDT 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 10:53 am, Kurt Wall wrote:
> In a 0.8K blaze of typing glory, M.W. Chang wrote:
> > > What are you trying to fix?  I don't think journaling file systems need
> > > fsck.
> >
> > I have once had ext3 corruption problem with my harddisk,
> > demanding manual intervention. SO I thought the same thing
> > MIGHT happen to xfs. I am not sure how superior xfs could be
> > when compared to ext3.
>
> Significantly superior. In the two years I've been running XFS, I've lost
> exactly *no* data.
>
> > thanks. I was just curious about the strange behaviour of fsck.xfs. :)
>
> Yup.
>
> KUrt

I would like to say the same, Kurt, and I also have been running XFS for about
two years.   But recently, in a T-storm, the power took about a 3 sec hit and
my wife's machine went down.  The next day, she couldn't open Kmail and
mozilla was all screwed up.  It had all of my bookmarks and none of hers and
other things were weird.  (and I don't use her machine but I do have a login
on it)

Not to say this couldn't happen with any FS but it *can* happen to XFS.  I
guess XFS does a lot of memory caching of data and if you catch it at just
the wrong time, it could well cause problems...