apt vs yum

Tim Wunder tim
Thu Aug 12 08:29:24 PDT 2004

On 8/12/2004 9:08 AM, I believe that James McDonald wrote:

> James McDonald wrote:
>
>> Tim Wunder wrote:

>>> In what fashion?
>>

>> Personally I hate the "header" download apt does. It seems to take
>> forever and the apt one is quick.
>

> Let me rephrase that....
>
> I hate the "header" download yum does. It seems to take forever and the
> apt one is quick.

Well, I have a broadband connection and it only takes a long time if
there are alot of updates, or if I've added a repository. Even then,
it's not all that long of a time.

> ...Synaptic rocks, what does yum have?

Yum does not have a gui front end (AFAIK). I usually admin my boxes from
a screen'd terminal session. Updating via yum is a simple
open console
$ screen -r (or just 'screen')
$ sudo yum -y update
<Ctrl-A>
<D>
$ exit

and is easily done remotely. I guess apt has a similar capability.