OT: qrcode

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Tue Aug 9 17:13:48 PDT 2011

On 8/8/2011 6:07 PM, Dennis Malen wrote:
> Does anyone have the ability to create a qrcode. It is simialr to bar codes.
>
> Here is a further explanation:
>
> A QR code (abbreviated from Quick Response code) is a specific matrix
> barcode (or two-dimensional code) that is readable by dedicated QR readers,
> smartphones, and to a less common extent, computers with webcams. The code
> consists of black modules arranged in a square pattern on a white
> background. The information encoded may be text, URL, or other data.
>
> Dennis Malen
> 516.479.5912

On Linux you just use qrencode but you're on Windows.

I don't use filepro on Windows, but, a minute or two of googling yielded
a command line reader and a command line writer, both free, open source,
with pre built windows binaries and even windows installers. All I did
was google "windows command line qrcode".

===================

Create qrcodes from command line on Windows:
http://code.google.com/p/qrencode-win32/downloads/detail?name=qrcodegui_setup-1.0.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\QRCodeGui>qrcode
qrencode version 3.1.1
Copyright (C) 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Kentaro Fukuchi
Usage: qrencode [OPTION]... [STRING]
Encode input data in a QR Code and save as a PNG image.

   -h           display this message.
   --help       display the usage of long options.
   -o FILENAME  write PNG image to FILENAME. If '-' is specified, the result
                will be output to standard output. If -S is given,
structured
                symbols are written to FILENAME-01.png, FILENAME-02.png,
...;
                if specified, remove a trailing '.png' from FILENAME.
   -s NUMBER    specify the size of dot (pixel). (default=3)
   -l {LMQH}    specify error collectin level from L (lowest) to H
(highest).
                (default=L)
   -v NUMBER    specify the version of the symbol. (default=auto)
   -m NUMBER    specify the width of margin. (default=4)
   -S           make structured symbols. Version must be specified.
   -k           assume that the input text contains kanji (shift-jis).
   -c           encode lower-case alphabet characters in 8-bit mode.
(default)
   -i           ignore case distinctions and use only upper-case characters.
   -8           encode entire data in 8-bit mode. -k, -c and -i will be
ignored.
   -V           display the version number and copyrights of the qrencode.
   [STRING]     input data. If it is not specified, data will be taken from
                standard input.

C:\Program Files (x86)\QRCodeGui>

====================

Read qrcodes from command line on Windows:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/zbar/zbar/0.10/zbar-0.10-setup.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\ZBar>zbarimg
ERROR: specify image file(s) to scan

usage: zbarimg [options] <image>...

scan and decode bar codes from one or more image files

     -h, --help      display this help text
     --version       display version information and exit
     -q, --quiet     minimal output, only print decoded symbol data
     -v, --verbose   increase debug output level
     --verbose=N     set specific debug output level
     -d, --display   enable display of following images to the screen
     -D, --nodisplay disable display of following images (default)
     --xml, --noxml  enable/disable XML output format
     --raw           output decoded symbol data without symbology prefix
     -S<CONFIG>[=<VALUE>], --set <CONFIG>[=<VALUE>]
                     set decoder/scanner <CONFIG> to <VALUE> (or 1)

C:\Program Files (x86)\ZBar>